This article will cover in detail how to perform the Dumbell Split Clean Exercise with a written description and video. The benefits to including it into your training routine and the different muscles worked by the exercise.
To perform the Dumbell Split Clean as the name implies you will need a pair of dumbells.
You should start training this exercise with a lower weight until you have perfected your form. This will help to limit your chance of receiving an injury.
This exercise is classified as an Olympic lift but works well for athletes or anyone who is training for fitness.
Using the split position is also useful for people who have bad knees and poor mobility or are taller than 6'3".
Split lifting is included into many CrossFit routines. This is because performing a split requires quick footwork, strength, and balance.
When including the Dumbbell Split into a routine, it can be used when you are performing the exercise for strengthening or conditioning your body.
Remember the Split is a high-skill movement, you need to focus on every rep and not rush through them to help prevent injury.
Dumbell Split Clean How To Written Description
- Place your feet shoulder width apart, grab and hold a dumbbell in each of your hands. Your hands should be using a neutral grip (the palms of your hand should be facing in towards your body/each other).
- Flex at your hips, knees and push your hips back. Continue this movement until you have lowered the weight to the floor.
- You are now in the starting position to perform this exercise.
- Begin the exercise by forcefully jumping upward extending at your hips, knees, and ankles to accelerate the weight upwards. You will keep using a neutral grip on the dumbbells. Your arms are to stay straight until you have reached full extension.
- When you have hit full extension, allow your arms to bend and guide the dumbells to your shoulders. Split your feet (move one of your feet forward by one foot and move the other foot back by approximately two feet).
- Continue Moving your body down until you are at the bottom of the lunge position.
- Drive up from your heels while keeping the weight on your shoulders. Make sure to keep your body in an upright position, bring your feet together and return to the standing position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Dumbell Split Clean How To Video Description
Benefits of The Dumbell Split Clean
This exercise produces a high power output and will help you to train your fast twitch muscle fibers.
The first benefit to training your fast twitch muscle fibers is that it will help you to increase your explosive power and speed.
The second benefit to training this way is that your resting metabolic rate will increase. This will make your body burn a higher amount of calories for the next 24 to 48 hours after completing your training.
Your body will also burn a substantial number of calories while performing the exercise. This is because of the amount of muscle groups used while performing this movement.
There is a similarity between the biomechanics(how the body moves in the way that it does) for this exercise that frequently occurs in sports. By increasing your ability in this lift, it will have a high crossover to your athletic abilities.
Most people find that learning this movement is easier when using dumbells instead of a barbell.
It can increase your motor skill ability since you are required to control two independent implements simultaneously.
Unlike a barbell where both arms must be used at the same time. Using dumbells, you can use both arms simultaneously, alternate your arms or use one arm at a time. This gives the lifter more variations available when using dumbells.
The Dumbell Split Clean will help you to develop total-body strength and power. Since this lift requires you to perform an explosive triple extension of the ankles, knees, and hips.
Using splits requires split second timing and will help to increase your balance and athleticism.
Dumbell Split Clean Muscles Used
- Outer Thighs
- Lower Back
- Hip Flexors
You may also like
Looking to gain more strength or lose some weight? We offer free fitness tools to help you reach your fitness goals. Register for free while we are in beta and get free lifetime access to our fitness tools that include an easy to use Calorie Counter, High-Intensity Interval Timer, Multiple Fitness Calculators and our Exercise Logger.