Over The Bar Burpees Introduction
This exercise is a cardio form of training, but you can also make it a plyometric exercise by explosively jumping.
The burpee over the bar does not technically require any equipment.
While you would normally have a bar placed as a divider that you would jump over, you can just perform jumps from side to side.
To get the most out of the burpee tuck jump, you can explosively jump from side to side to add some plyometric training into the exercise.
The difficulty of Over The Bar Burpees is intermediate. Before attempting this version, you need a solid handle and good form on the regular burpee.
Multiple exercises are combined to create this exercise. They are
- Body Squat
Make sure that you keep your core muscles tight while performing this exercise.
Burpee Over The Bar How To
- Place your feet shoulder width apart. Keep your weight on the heels of your feet with your arms held at your side.
- Lower your body by pushing the hips back and bending your knees putting your body into a squat position.
- Your hands get placed onto the floor directly in front of you shoulder width apart.
- Shift your weight onto your hands.
- Jump pushing your feet back and land on the balls of your feet in the plank position. Have your body form a straight line from your head to your heels.
- Inhale and lower your body downward until your chest is almost touching the floor.
- Now breath out and press your upper body back to the high plank position.
- Jump your feet back to the outside of your hands.
- Explosively jump sideways over the divider on the ground.
- When you land, you need to immediately lower yourself back into the squat position preparing for your next rep.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions or time selected.
Over the bar burpees, have become quite popular at CrossFit centers.
Remember you are to do a proper push-up. Do not just let your body drop to the floor. Keep your back straight the entire time. Do not allow your hips to rise or lower as this will reduce the core training portion of the movement.
Many people in the CrosFfit videos online are just dropping to the floor and not performing a push-up.
Do not be one of them, if your going do this exercises keep strict form throughout the entire movement or use an easier variation.
Improper form reduces the effectiveness of the training and can put your body into compromising positions where an injury is more likely to occur.
This exercise burns a high number of calories in a very short period.
You can use the tuck jump burpee as a regular cardio exercise. Or it can be included in a High-Intensity Interval Training routine as well.
To burn the most fat, I recommend using it with H.I.I.T. training.
We offer a Free Online H.I.I.T. Timer you can use. No registration is required to access it!
You may also like
Looking to gain more strength or lose some weight? We offer free fitness tools to help you reach your fitness goals. Register for free while we are in beta and get free lifetime access to our fitness tools that include an easy to use Calorie Counter, High-Intensity Interval Timer, Multiple Fitness Calculators and our Exercise Logger.